St. Catherine's Montessori is dedicated to giving each student an opportunity to develop as a musician and as a person. It is our goal to help each student reach their maximum potential by teaching them to realize the significance of commitment, musicianship, loyalty, teamwork, and work ethic. We expect each student to be a respectable representative of themselves, their ensemble, and their school.
- Beginning Strings Lessons for all new or continuing 2nd- through 12th-year players on violin, viola, cello, or bass (electric or double). Lessons will be during the school day as part of the work period on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Students will move at their own pace on their instrument but will be expected to do some at-home practice. There is no charge for Beginning Strings. Click HERE to register.
- Chamber Orchestra for returning 4th- through 6th-year players on violin, viola, cello, or bass (electric or double). It is recommended that players have at least one year of experience on their instrument for this group. The Chamber Orchestra will play in small groups – “Chamber Music Style” – and meet after school on Tuesdays from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Players will be arranged in small trios and quartets and work on balancing melody and harmony in their groups. The cost for Chamber Orchestra is $35/month. Click HERE to register.
- Chamber Ensemble for Adolescent Community and High School players on violin, viola, cello, or bass (electric or double). It is recommended that players have at least two years of experience on their instrument for this group. This small ensemble will practice during the school day as part of their Creative Expression work period and will have numerous performance opportunities during the year. The cost for Chamber Ensemble is $35/month. Click HERE to register.
- Acapella Choir for 4th- through 6th-year singers. Acapella Choir is an opportunity for young singers to develop their musical skills and hold their own parts in harmony. Choir will meet after school on Thursdays from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Singers should have a desire to sing together and explore fun performance opportunities. The cost for Acapella Choir is $35/month. Click HERE to register.
- Choir Ensemble for singers in Adolescent Community and High School. Choir Ensemble is an opportunity for older singers to sing in parts together with others who love to sing. The group will meet once a week during the day as part of their work period. Singers should have a desire to sing together and explore fun performance opportunities. The cost for Choir Ensemble is $35/month. Click HERE to register.
Families will need to rent their own instruments from an area music store. String instruments are sized to fit the child, so please make sure your child is sized when renting your instrument. Parents should take your returning players in BEFORE Orchestra begins to have your child re-checked for their current size. Remember, they may have grown! Rentals include repairs and will accommodate your child as he or she grows. Most stores include a rent-to-own credit that can be used to buy an instrument when the child reaches full size for a more affordable price. Here are links to a few places to try when looking for your instrument:
- Lisle Violin Shop
- Amati Violin Shop
- Quantum Bass Center (they rent violins, violas, and cellos, too)