Senior Capstone Night
- Senior Capstone Night
- 5/3/2023, 6:00 PM
- SCM Gym
The pinnacle of our student-centered Montessori education is the senior capstone. The senior capstone is an opportunity for young adults to immerse themselves in a self-designed project and to exercise adult-level independence as they transition out of St. Catherine’s High School and into the next chapter of their lives. The goals of the senior capstone are for students to:
- Pursue self-guided research in an area of high individual interest
- Demonstrate skills developed over the course of education at SCM, including those of managing a significant project
- Develop connections and interact with professionals in the greater community
- Think creatively about academic, social, and/or professional issues
- Refine verbal and written communication skills by sharing research with the larger St. Catherine’s community
The evening will include a musical performance by the choir and TED Talk-style presentation by Owen. After the formal presentation, guests are encouraged to participate in a mingling Q/A session where they can further discuss the capstone project and inspect visual components.
Owen Uitenbroek is writing a thesis on the Late Cretaceous ecosystem of Hell Creek, a geological formation spanning portions of modern-day Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, and North Dakota. Owen has traveled to Hell Creek three times during his high school years, working alongside paleontologists in the field. His research summarizes the modern scientific understanding of the climate, flora and fauna of Late Cretaceous North America.
All St. Catherine's community members and friends are invited! Children are welcome but please be advised these are academic research presentations.
Kindly RSVP via the link below by Monday, May 1, 2023. Contact Brian Tucker at [email protected] with your questions.